Keep it easy this holiday weekend with some super simple Easter Sunday cinnamon rolls. Upgrade some ready-to-bake cinnamon rolls with pretty pastel frosting and aromatic sprinkles. (Even if you don’t celebrate Easter, these are highly recommended Sunday brunch fare.)
A co-worker brought in doughnuts for St. Patrick’s Day and I snagged one covered in chocolate frosting figuring it was cream filled. To my surprise it was a cinnamon roll! Truth be told the roll was a little lackluster, but the idea stuck with me. I picked up some fancy organic varieties of cinnamon rolls in a tube and canned frosting (to make myself feel a little better about not making anything from scratch) and whipped these up one sunny Saturday afternoon.
- 1 tube ready-to-bake cinnamon rolls
- 1 tub pre-made frosting
- red & yellow food coloring
- zest from one lemon
- dried lavender
- Bake the cinnamon rolls according to package instructions.
- While they are baking, separate the tub of frosting into two bowls
- Add 2-3 drops red food coloring to one of the bowls of frosting, until desired pink color is reached.
- Add 2-3 drops yellow food coloring to the other bowl of frosting, until desired yellow color is reached.
- When cinnamon rolls are finished baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before frosting.
- Sprinkle dried lavender on any rolls with pink frosting and lemon zest on any with yellow frosting.
If you’ve got little ones, frosting and sprinkling these yummy treats are the perfect job to keep them entertained while you get any other dishes ready for brunch.
Jelly bean studded chocolate and adorable chick marshmallows are from Zoe’s Chocolate Co.