We on the East Coast may be ready to say adios to Winter after the blizzardous weekend we just experienced, but the sad truth is that we still have at least two months of this sh** to make it through. How am I coping? Enter the daily hot chocolate.
It’s like a real life version of Professor Lupin handing you some chocolate after you’ve tried battling a dementor. (Except the dementor is an overflowing inbox at 2 pm on a Friday.) In this version your pick me up also includes protein, healthy fats and a few super foods to sweeten the deal. This has been my chosen afternoon snack as of late. Perfect to tame my ravenous sweet tooth/afternoon hunger pangs in one fell swoop.
- 1.5 cups milk of your choice (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 scoop chocolate flavored protein of your choice (I prefer Perfect Fit)
- 1 tablespoon high quality hot chocolate mix (I like this one and this one)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Maca powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- a pinch of black pepper if you're feeling brave
- Heat the almond milk to almost boiling (but not quite). I'll admit I usually do this in the microwave. Takes about 1 minute & 45 seconds.
- Pour all ingredients into your favorite mug and use the frother to gently whisk everything together.
- Alternatively you could also use a blender to mix everything together before pouring into your mug.
And don’t worry, you can’t really taste the turmeric, it’s just there to add an anti-inflammatory punch.